Esmeraldas is a coastal city in Ecuador, It has one of the most popular beaches in Ecuador. Thousands of tourists come to Esmeraldas to enjoy of the beautiful warm tropical weather.
Many young people come to Esmeraldas to enjoy and have a good time. The weather is very good, it's not cold at all but it doesn't get too hot. You can swim in the ocean and enjoy big waves, The beaches are not fancy as those in Hawaii or Miami, but that is what makes the Esmeraldas beaches more cozy.
Is very easy to go to Esmeraldas, you can go to a bus station and take the Esmeraldas bus that will take you to a nice trip called the sun road and you will have the opportunity to know beaches like: Salinas, Ballenita, Ayangue, Montañita, Olon until you get to Esmeraldas.
If you want to see something outstanding and if you love the ocean you should go to Súa, it is an important fishing village with several seabirds flying after fishing. There are also basic whale watching tours offered from June to September.
If you want to have fun with your friends or family and you don't know where to go,here are some advices:
- Scala.- Disco-bar. Located on the Malecón
- Sambaye Club.- Bar. Located on the Malecón, by Hotel Tahiti.
If you want to buy souvenirs to remember the beautiful Esmeraldas you should go to:
- Más por Menos supermarket.- Imported goods.
- Cayapa basket market.- Across from the Post Office
- Tolita artefacts.- 3 doors down the Post Office.
In the coast of Ecuador you can get seafood at good prices, For six American dollars you can get a nice dish of delicious spiced rice with shrimp and fried green plaintain or you can get a Ceviche for four dollars. You can get a nice fry fish with beans and rice or a hot seafood soup. And if you have not eaten lobster for a long time, here is your chance, as you can get a delicious spiced Lobster for twelve to fifteen dollars.
Several typical restaurants and bars along the beach selling fried fish, ceviches and patacones.
- La Marimba Internacional.- Address: Libertad and Lavallen.
- Chifa Restaurante Asiático.- Chinese. Address Cañizares and Bolivar.
- Las Redes.- Seafood. Located at the main plaza.
- Balcón del Pacífico.- Address: Bolivar and 10 de Agosto.
- Los Alamos.- Address: 9 de Octubre, close to the plaza.
- Budapest.- Address: Cañizares 214 and Bolivar.
To Guayaquil, 7 hours, leaving every hour, ticket value around US$5.50. To Bahía de Caráquez, vía Sto. Domingo, ticket value around US$6.80. To Portoviejo, ticket value around US$2.90. To Manta, ticket value around US$6.80. To Quevedo, 6 hours. To La Tola, 3 1/2 hours. Ticket value around US$1.80. To San Lorenzo, 6 hours, daily, ticket value around US$5.50. To Muisne, 3 1/2 hours, every hour. Ticket value around US$1.70. To Santo Domingo, 4 hours. Ticket value around US$2.50. To Ambato, 8 hours, ticket value around US$6.50. To Sua, Same and Atacames, every few minutes. To Quito, 5-6 hours. Ticket value around US$4.80.
TAME.- Daily flights except Saturdays to Quito (US$53 one way). Address: Situated on the road to La Tola.
After going to have a delicious dinner, there is time to go out and enjoy the party nights in Atacames , it is city situated twenty minutes away from Esmeraldas. In Atacames you can find different Kiosks with very loud very loud music making natural juices, margaritas, piñas coladas and more. There many clubs there to go out dancing, Salsa, merengue, reggeaton, etc, just for two dollars.
A beautiful number of places are available in private homes.
Esmeraldas is the wettest coastal province and summer is simply less rainy than the rest of the year. Most days in Esmeraldas is bright sun, in the afternoon is tropical shower and at night. January and February are the best months to visit Esmeraldas, as they receive the most sun. They are also the hottest months. The northern coast and tropical forests of Esmeraldas receive more rain than the southern beaches and savannah.
- Mompiche Beach Lodge - 70 hectares of tropical forest along the bay of Mompiche and its nearby surroundings, with natural attractions which have been preserved intact over time.
- Casablanca Beach Hotel & Golf Club
- Hotel Estuario, Ave. Libertad y Gran Colombia (corner). Tel. (06) 720-393 / 721-399 / 724-798.
- Apart Hotel Casino, Libertad 407 and Ramón Tello. Tel. (06) 728700, Fax: 728704.
- Hostal EI Cisne, 10 de Agosto e/ Olmedo y Colón. Tel. (06) 721-588 / 723-411.
- Zulema 2, Malecón and Rocafuerte. Tel. (06) 726757.
- Diana, Cañizares and Sucre. Tel. (06) 727923...this hotel now only allows stays of one month or more.
Insect repellent, high-factor waterproof sunscreen, sun hat, anti-malarial pills, rubber boots, swimsuit, beach towel, camera, film of varying speeds, rain poncho.
If you want to get out of Esmeraldas, it is very easy, you go to:
Trans Esmeraldas station is by the main park. To Guayaquil 8 hrs. Ticket value around US$5.80, To Quito, 6 1/2 hrs. 3buses daily. Ticket value around US$7. To & from Esmeraldas, 40 minutes. Buses leave every 15 minutes. Ticket value around US$0.80. To & from Muisne, every hour.
This page was last edited at 04:38, on 26 November 2008 by Wikitravel user Texugo. Based on work by Zac Stewart, Jorge, belen, Anna Gansauer, jhoana, soledad, Ricardo, Colin Jensen and David, Wikitravel user(s) Episteme, Anonymous user(s) of Wikitravel and others.