Most people arrive to Kuusamo with their own car. You can get a taxi from Kuusamo or Ruka. Own car is quite necessary because of the long distances.
The nearest train station in in Oulu, from where there are connecting buses timed to train arrivals.
Driving around during weekend is popular among the youth. Snowmobiling is wery popular in Kuusamo so there are hundreds of kilometres snowmobiling routes.
- Ruka,  one of the biggest ski centers in Finland is situated in the municipality of Kuusamo and is its main tourist attraction.
- Karhunkierros (The trail of the bear) , is the most popular hiking trail in Finland. The 80 km long trail leads through two beautiful national parks. There are also several shorter variations of the trail. The trail is easily accessible from the Kuusamo airport with a bus that takes you to the beginning of the trail. Although the difficulty level is quite easy, you should still be prepared with a decent map and enough food. Water is not a problem, as there are plenty of rivers that have clean and drinkable water. There are several open wilderness huts (autiotupa), where you can stay for free. The huts tend to get full during peak season (end of June to beginning of August), so you should consider bringing your own tent.
- Cross Country Service Kontio 
Famous spoonbait manufacturer Kuusamon Uistin is located on Kuusamo, factory shop is located on the plant. There is much handcraft business on the Ruka and central Kuusamo.
- Leipäjuusto a regional fresh cheese. Also known as Finnish squeaky cheese because the cheese is "squeaking" when one's chewing it.
- Poronkäristys, sauteed reindeer. A speciality of Lapland, but also available in the northern part of the Oulu province.
There is many bars and pubs in Ruka and Kuusamo, Ruka is famous of it´s dance and karaoke bar ZONE.
- Kuusamon tropiikki , a spa hotel. Kylpyläntie 1. tel. +358 (0)20 1234 906
Locals don't like arrogant tourists, especially when they are intoxicated, so be polite to them and they are polite to you. All you need is a common sense.
This page was last edited at 16:03, on 5 December 2008 by Anonymous user(s) of Wikitravel. Based on work by Jani Patokallio, Wikitravel user(s) Morph, Jonboy and Ypsilon and Anonymous user(s) of Wikitravel.