Lido di Ostia
It is one of Lazio's major attractions, particularly interesting to those who can't make it to Pompeii. Italy might be a Catholic country, but you won't detect any religious conservatism in the skimpy bikinis on display here. There's a carnival atmosphere, with dance halls, cinemas, and pizzerias. The Lido is set off best at Castelfusano, against a backdrop of pinewoods. This stretch of shoreline is referred to as the ROMAN RIVIERA.
Not far from the center of Rome, it's considered the Capital's beach and it is also well-known for the "Tourist Port" with moorings for boats from 8 to 60 metres in length. Every angle of this geographic area makes you relive the sparkle of the past of the Roman coast. There's no time to describe it, it's time to visit it….
The archaeological excavations of the ancient port, the Necropolis Port at the Isola Sacra, the villa of Plinio and the Medieval Borgo. From the Roman period to the architectural freedom of the first years of the nine hundreds and to finish the enormous green areas, protected by the coast's State Reserve: the pinewood of Castelfusano is the summer residence of the President of the Republic and the Capocotta Reserve.
If you're flying out of Fiumicino, this town is the best stopover for the night before. You can return your rental car if need be, and catch a cab for a few minute, few kilometer ride to the airport, and forget about the trains, the traffic from Rome.
If you want to see both ancient and modern Rome, grab your swimsuit, towel, and sunblock, and take the surface underground (Lido Train) from Piramide/Porta San Paolo. Departures are about every half-hour, and the trip takes only 20 minutes. The Metro lets you off across the highway that connects Rome with the coast. It's just a short walk to the excavations. Later, board the Metro again to visit Lido di Ostia and the beach.
Visit the huge pinewood of castelfusano, easily accessible from the stations of cristoforo colombo or castelfusano, and the suburb of Infernetto
- Ferrara, (just off the Lungomare near the pier). You know it's terrific because of the crowds all the time. They have all kinds of pizze and many side dishes, all cafeteria style at very reasonable prices, and very tasty.
- Gelateria Salus, Lungomare Paolo Toscanelli, 117, ☎ 06 976 13 117. Very good ice cream (only at the table) in a particularly nice environment, prices are mid-range, but the ice cream and service are worth the price.
- Ristorante Don Pepe, lungomare Paolo Toscanelli 125. Tel. 065672408, . Italian and Spanish cousin: fish, meat and various meal.
- Ristorante-Pizzeria Blue Fin, lungomare Paolo Toscanelli 120, .
- Faber Beach, .
- Hotel Ping-Pong, lungomare Paolo Toscanelli 84(just down from the pier), ☎ 065601733. Convenient, reasonable, friendly staff. Fax number is same phone number
- Litus Roma Hostel, lungomare Toscanelli 186, . The first hostel by the sea in Rome. Located near the new port of Rome and close to the excavations of Ostia Antica. It's easily reachable from the center of Rome by public transportation. Over 140 beds in comfortable rooms with ensuite bathrooms, TV color and a view of the sea.
This page was last edited at 20:50, on 12 March 2009 by Wikitravel user PerryPlanet. Based on work by francesco and Daniel Cowan, Wikitravel user(s) Texugo and Anonymous user(s) of Wikitravel.