North Shore (New Zealand)
It is NZ's fourth largest city covering an area of approximately 13,000 hectares. It has a population of around 200,000 people.
It has the longest unbroken urban coastline in NZ - 150 km. There is an average of 240 days of sunshine every year and an annual rainfall of 1100 mm.
North Shore has a number of suburbs:
- East Coast Bays
- Forrest Hill
An hour's drive from Auckland International Airport north along State Highway 1 (SH1)
A 10 minute drive over the Harbour Bridge from Auckland
The Auckland Discovery Day Pass allows the traveller to catch a bus, train or ferry all over the greater Auckland region as often as one likes for a day. Tickets are $12 and are available from bus drivers, Fuller's Ferries ticket office machines or the train personnel. (Note: they are not valid for Waiheke buses or ferries to Half Moon bay or Waiheke).
Stagecoach (one of the local bus companies) offers an $8 pass that is valid on any Stagecoach bus or North Shore - Auckland downtown ferry for the day
Stagecoach also offers a $5 shopping pass which is valid on any Stagecoach bus M - F 9AM - 3PM.
For more information, phone +64 9 366 6400 or visit the web site.
Over weekends, there is an inner harbour ferry service, This runs the loop Auckland downtown terminal - Bayswater Wharf - Birkenhead Wharf - Northcote Point (on request) - Auckland downtown terminal. Ferries leave from the Auckland downtown terminal at 8:55AM, 9:55AM, 10:55AM, 12:10AM, 1:10PM, 2:10PM and 3:10PM. The ferry may be boarded at any point on the loop. The round trip is approx. 45 minutes. Adults $8.40 Seniors and children $4.40.
- Long Bay Regional Park, stroll around the park and along the beach and enjoy the views over the Hauraki Gulf and adjoining marine reserve. There are also walks, sea kayaking, picnic areas, the historic Vaughan homestead and a kid's play ground which also has a miniature train
- Harbourside Art Trail, take your time and visit the studios of the local artists and craftspeople in Birkenhead and Northcote
- North Head, take a stroll around. It's in Devonport located at the mouth of the Waitemata Harbour. It has stunning views over the Hauraki Gulf and inner harbour. Look out for the complex of tunnels, guns and other fortifications. Spending a day exploring the tunnels and having a picnic is strongly advised. North Head offers spectacular views of North Shore City, Auckland City, the harbour bridge and the volcanic island of Rangitoto. http://www.doc.govt.nz/Conservation/Historic/Auckland-Historic-Areas/North-Head-Historic-Reserve/index.asp
The Dining Room, The Spencer on Byron Hotel (Asian), 9-17 Byron Ave, Takapuna Beach, North Shore. Asian-influenced cuisine. An average main course costs $25 - $35.
- The Copper Room, 138 Hurstmere Road, Takapuna Beach, 09 489 8040
Bed & Breakfast
- Beresford B & B Homestay, Beresford St, Bayswater, North Shore, Auckland. Short walk to ferry, 10 minute trip across harbour to Downtown Auckland, Phone +64 9 4453959 (email: firstname.lastname@example.org) http://beresfordhomestay.awardspace.com/
This page was last edited at 10:37, on 20 February 2009 by Anonymous user(s) of Wikitravel. Based on work by Michele Ann Jenkins, Wikitravel user(s) New Zealand Traveller, Beresfordnz, Hypatia, Huttite, Nzpcmad and Nils and Anonymous user(s) of Wikitravel.